Vizio Smart TV

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Vizio Smart TV profile

Postby dbq-andersons » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 am

Greetings,

I used the conf file linked above and it seems to have gotten things moving on my VIZIO E601-A3. I made one change to force-stream .mp4 files so I could skip the transcoding since I am running an older XP desktop. I can play .mp4 (h264 video codec and AAC audio codec) files fine....provided they are less than about 1400 seconds (just over 23 minutes). If the files are 23 minutes and 15 seconds or longer, playback is blank and I get orange messages on my VIZIO TV at the lower right corner saying that neither the Video nor Audio codecs are supported. The same files that pop the errors when being streamed through the PS3 Media Server play just fine if I copy them down to a USB drive and direct attach it to the TV.

Given that the longer files play fine when direct attached, I'm not seeing how it can be a codec support issue on the TV. Unless of course I'm missing something...entirely possibly since I'm new to this TV and to streaming. I've looked through the .conf parameters and nothing is jumping out at me. Thus I'm opening it up to a wider pool of brain power

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this one. The streaming playback quality is awesome...I just need to to last longer than 23 1/4 minutes.

Thanks,

Bill Anderson
dbq-andersons

Re: Vizio tv with yahoo widget

Postby chrisbrns » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:56 am

Big shout out to this guy ^

Worked like a champ - I will include a few more options for the folks that want a breeze install.

1.) download the config file I just created for you
For the lazy http://www.2shared.com/file/ljgG-ln_/Vizio.html

2.) move file to the renders folder
3.) open PMS and change the settings to the following if using wifi (much faster browsing and playing)
a. under general tab, change the default render to Vizio xxx - will display the render name
b. under navigation, uncheck generate thumbnails / image thumbnails, enable cache, etc
4.) add your video folders - I didn't have problem with long names, I have 500+ vids so far no prob
5.) click save, close app and reopen.

you shoudl see everything looking good and tv shoudl show up as ps3 - named vizio blah blah xx

Open media player with apps, choose video and navigate to your folders.

Have fun and kuddos to guy wiht the instructions above. Thank you a lot for making my new 2x 60" vizios come back to life!

Also.Bonus for ultimate picture, check this link to tune your color properly:

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 53
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 75
Color: 51
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

---Size & Position submenu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature submenu---
Colour temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 104
Green Gain: 115
Blue gain: 130
Red offset: 129
Green offset: 130
Blue offset: 132

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth motion effect: Off
Real Cinema Mode: Smooth [grayed out]
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off
chrisbrns

Vizio Smart TV .conf file

Postby ziekko » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 pm

I am a bit of a newbie here but, I created this file because I had many files that would not read properly, and this seemed to work just fine with my 60" Vizio Smart TV, which other than their codec support I think is a very good tv. I coped a little bit of the Song, a little bit of the Android conf files, and here it is, hope this is useful :)

RendererName=Vizio Smart TV
RendererIcon=bravia5500.png
UserAgentSearch=IPI/1.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
MediaInfo=false
CreateDLNATreeFaster=false
DLNALocalizationRequired=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGPSAC3
TranscodeAudio=MP3
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=true
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=1900
MaxVideoHeight=1600
TranscodeExtensions=
StreamExtensions=avi
ziekko

Postby Hank » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:58 pm

First off thanks to chrisbrns for the .conf file he created and which I am using. I have a Vizio E320i-A2 and using said .conf file. I am able to play my .avi files but am having no luck with .mkv or .mp4 files. I see them and can select to play them but only get a message that the video and audio codecs are not supported. Could someone offer a few suggestions as to what I might need to change to get past this.
Many Thanks!
Hank

Postby dontribi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:28 am

I've been monkeying with the widget and haven't had much success with the one loaded here. What I did was I took the PS3.conf renderer and altered some of the items within it based off of some searching on the site here. Enclosed is the file for my settings (VizioTV.zip).

I am running hard wired on a gigabit network and am connecting at speeds of around 93 Mb\s. I am running PS3 Media server 1.72.0 and java version 1.7.0_11 on Windows 7 32bit Ultimate.

I get a speedy response with pulling up the menu's but my issue is that the subfolders become mismatched. I have two top level folders that are shared and then subfolders below each. When navigating videos I look to the folder:

Videos\Kids\Disney and then there are 34 subfolders within the Disney folder, each with an avi file located in it. When browsing the subfoldes what I'm seeing is:

Videos\Kids\Disney\FindingNemo\Alladin.avi
Videos\Kids\Disney\BugsLife\Tinkerbell.avi

What I should be seeing is:

Videos\Kids\Disney\FindingNemo\FindingNemo.avi
Videos\Kids\Disney\BugsLife\BugsLife.avi

Some folders display fine while others are retrieving an incorrect file. When browsing from my playstation all is displayed as it should be so it seems an issue with a line configuration in the renderer. Does anyone know what setting to change to have the correct items displayed? I tried adjusting the sort order in the Navigation section (seen in another thread) and that didn't work for me. Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks
Attachments
VizioTV.zip
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
dontribi

Postby ForTozs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:03 pm

I have found that the XVID codec works for long movies. I use ffmpeg to encode my movies. Here is an example of what I've been using...

Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i input.m4v -threads 0 -vtag XVID -vcodec libxvid -s 624x352  -aspect 16:9 -q:v 0 -c:a libmp3lame -ac 2 output.avi

^ -vtag XVID <- MUST be capitalized!

Granted, I've only tested it at lower resolutions (up to 480), but my experiences with h264 led me to believe smaller is better. I have also played a 720 XVID successfully, although I didn't encode it myself. That's what helped me figure out XVID is the way to go. Its actually pretty amazing how good the sub-SD resolution has been looking on my 32" LED model. But I will be testing this at HD resolutions. I'm glad you've clarified the issue with duration being the limiting factor with h264. Hopefully, Vizio will update the h264 capabilities or someone will come up with a jailbreak eventually. I was beating my head into a wall over that one.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16344&p=77542#p77446
ForTozs

Postby cannedpasta » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:46 am

Sorry, I'm kind of a n00b with changing the encoding settings (I never had to mess with that on my 360, but I am trying to follow things to get this to work with my Vizio smart tv), but I'm just trying to figure out where to put that string...

Does it go in the field where it says "Encoder settings for FFmpeg engine"?
cannedpasta

Postby tomahawkchop661 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:38 pm

i tried the above posted by Vizio_*** and it worked pms and tv recog. each other but when i go to play my movie files that are mp4 i just get a
NO VIDEO CODEC SUPPORT
NO AUDIO CODEC SUPPORT

When i play my movies that are native avi they play fine ...........ANY HELP?
tomahawkchop661

Postby dontribi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm

I have the same problem. Some mp4 files play and other do not. It has to do with how they are encoded. I think the encoding is H.264 for video and AAC for audio. But what I don't understand is some files that don't play when I view their codec within VLC media player it meets the above requirements. What I've been doing as a work around is using a product called Audials to convert them to avi files that play on the vizio tv. Pain in the butt but until I figure out the file with the correct codec to download this is my work around.

For my above issue I found a work around for that as well. I created subfolders A through M and N through Z and then copied the other subfolders beneath. Now all files/folders are matched up properly. Just can't have that many subfolders. I also found that video files won't play at the root level after you click on Videos. They need to be in a folder to play
dontribi

Postby ForTozs » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 am

Sorry for the slow reply. Did you try the instructions here?

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13296

My last post was about how to encode your video files to be compatible with your Vizio. It has nothing to do with PS3 Media Server. But you will only be able to stream certain file types. AVI containers encoded with the XVID codec work for me. That's what the string I posted gives instructions for. You will need to install FFMPEG first. Once you do that you can use the command above in the Window's Command Window or in Mac's terminal. By the way, I find I'm getting great quality videos that stream well at 1280x720 and -q:v 4. Your mileage may vary.
ForTozs

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers