Need a alt renderer

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Good Substitute for PS3

Postby rednyle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:39 am

Hi All,

I love my original PS3 but I'm tired of listen to the loud fan when watching MKV files through my ps3 media server. So my question is, other than the ps3, what are some other players that will work well with PS3 media server? I stream mostly large (8-12GB) MKV files so if anyone have a good product that meet those requirements, please let me know. I'm currently connection my PS3 to a wired network so throughput is not an issue.

Thanks,
Dom
rednyle

2nd Streaming Device?

Postby godlovesugly » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:22 am

I currently use PSM on my Xbox360 for my main TV in the living room. I'd like to get a 2nd device to use PSM (preferably) or a similar program to stream movies to my TV upstairs. I'm not too keen on buying a 2nd console to do this. Is there a cheap streaming device that is primarily used for streaming on your home network? I don't need all the bells and whistles of Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
godlovesugly

What to do?

Postby Ricketts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:30 am

Hi Folks;

I have been searching off and on for 6 months or so now, but haven't really found what I'm looking for. I want to replace my PS3 with a simple, reasonable cost media player that can play mkv, flac, etc, with an interface that looks decent, similar to the PS3. I do not want a clunky, boring interface that does not work well.

I wish to continue using the PS3 media server with whatever device I purchase. I do not want a device that has drm issues like Sony's Cinavia crap

Another option is buying a new bluray player with these features as well.

My brain is going to mush looking through all the different types. Some reviews I look at seem suspect as well, for some of the devices. Can anyone give me a short list of units they have tried and why they like them?

Thanks guys...so tired of searching...
Ricketts

Previous

Return to Alternative Media Renderers