Question RE: SMP-N100 Sony Media Player

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Question RE: SMP-N100 Sony Media Player

Postby noblephoenix » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:09 pm

I have to say Kudos for getting PS3 Media Server 1.50 to work with the SMP-N100 media player. It's odd how it detects as a Sony BluRay & Unknown Renderer, but it let me uninstall serviio from my PC (which kept using up 8% of my CPU cycles and was a memory hog).

I had the following question:

On the PS3, when I watch a movie/show, it will only play a single file in the directory and then go back to the directory when the show is complete. Generally that's what I like (auto-repeat is great for music playlists but sucks for video).

On the SMP-N100, once you choose a video to play, it automatically iterates through all the remaining videos in the same directory that are alphabetically below it. I like falling asleep to watching a show, having the show end and the media player turn off. This is what happen with netflix / hulu on the smp-n100, and what happens when using the PS3 and ps3mediaserver. However, when watching from the smp-n100, it cycles through the rest of the video files in the directory. Very disruptive in the middle of the night.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and seen a simple workaround. You can't change this as an option in the smp-n100, and I didn't see anything in the options of ps3mediaserver. I'm assuming there's something in the .conf file, but haven't seen what it could be.
noblephoenix

Re: Question RE: SMP-N100 Sony Media Player

Postby styro » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:11 am

Why not uncheck prevent OS from streaming and set PC to sleep at particular time. Or set tv to go off at a certain time. afaik, there are no settings in conf to do that. I have a sony z5100 tv that I'm able to set playback method to 'all' or 'single' and I got my daughter the sony smp-n200 and I was surprised it didn't have that option, so I set her tv to shut off after 1 hr. and pc to sleep after 1 hr. and the smp-n200 will go to sleep.
styro

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:52 am

noblephoenix wrote:I have to say Kudos for getting PS3 Media Server 1.50 to work with the SMP-N100 media player. It's odd how it detects as a Sony BluRay & Unknown Renderer, but it let me uninstall serviio from my PC (which kept using up 8% of my CPU cycles and was a memory hog).

Sounds like PMS doesn't recognize the device at all. ;-)
It might be worth your while to create a fresh .conf for the SMP-N100.
If you do, please share the resulting .conf here.

I had the following question:

On the PS3, when I watch a movie/show, it will only play a single file in the directory and then go back to the directory when the show is complete. Generally that's what I like (auto-repeat is great for music playlists but sucks for video).

On the SMP-N100, once you choose a video to play, it automatically iterates through all the remaining videos in the same directory that are alphabetically below it. I like falling asleep to watching a show, having the show end and the media player turn off. This is what happen with netflix / hulu on the smp-n100, and what happens when using the PS3 and ps3mediaserver. However, when watching from the smp-n100, it cycles through the rest of the video files in the directory. Very disruptive in the middle of the night.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and seen a simple workaround. You can't change this as an option in the smp-n100, and I didn't see anything in the options of ps3mediaserver. I'm assuming there's something in the .conf file, but haven't seen what it could be.

Yes, I have noticed that on other devices than the PS3.
I never paid it much attention because I figured it was how the player worked. As far as I know PMS does not push new content to the renderer unless it requests it specifically.

But maybe the renderer behavior is provoked by how PMS sends transcoded content.

Maybe this is caused by sending a greater content length than actually is available, so when the renderer reaches the end it assumes it needs to skip to the next track. I never really investigated what happens at the end of a file, when PMS knows the last bytes are being sent (BufferedOutputFileImpl, RequestV2).

Can you notice a difference in behavior between streamed files and transcoded files?
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby noblephoenix » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:29 am

I never need to transcode files, most of my content is natively playable. I haven't been able to get mkv files to play properly via transcoding yet.

The issue with TV turning off via sleep timer is simply that I'm using a monitor instead of a tv (had a spare monitor and too cheap to buy a new TV for the bedroom). So, no sleep timer.

The issue is that the SMP-N100 sets all its media servers to auto repeat until the end of a directory. Fullstop. Thank you Sony :P

When I have time I'll try and get everything sorted out with a fully working .conf file, but in the meantime I've become quite adept at clicking the off button on the remote while falling asleep (and copying 2 files into a 'sleepytime' folder so if I do fall asleep the worst case scenario is a single file playing).

Thanks for all the advice!
noblephoenix

Return to Alternative Media Renderers