XBOX 360 - what format is best for movies

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

XBOX 360 - what format is best for movies

Postby lipper » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering what is the best format for XBOX 360 and PS3mediaserver...
I've got a ton of mkv's but there are two reasons I don't like them...
1. they don't play nice with xbox360 and ps3mediaserver often
2. cannot fast forward or rewind

I'm wondering what format (Xvid avi, etc...) I should convert them to and anything I should take into consideration...I just converted one mkv to an xvid avi but besides reducing the quality, it still caused issues and I could not fast forward....
I've been using xmedia recode...

Thanks in advance.
lipper

Re: XBOX 360 - what format is best for movies

Postby c01eman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:00 am

hi lipper
the best format to use is mp4 with h264 and aac audio. use xenonmkv to mux the files instead of convert as it doesnt loss video quality.

http://xenonmkv.ev98.net
c01eman

Re: XBOX 360 - what format is best for movies

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 am

c01eman wrote:hi lipper
the best format to use is mp4 with h264 and aac audio. use xenonmkv to mux the files instead of convert as it doesnt loss video quality.

http://xenonmkv.ev98.net

Nice find c01eman . That program works pretty slick. Too bad it doesn't accept 5.1 AAC MP4's though, so they can be 'one click' downmixed to 2 channel AAC. Kinda goofy considering the encoder/decoders that program has.

I would use PMS to play these MKV''s, as they actually do play with great sound. But the video has an annoying tick.....tick.......tick every 2 or 3 seconds.

The 360 has to be the most annoying, fussy and thoroughly frustrating console to work with when it comes to network video streaming. This suggestion helps ease that a little......thanks. :)
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Return to Alternative Media Renderers