iPad and iPhone

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

iPad and iPhone

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Some messages on these forums claim to have success with getting PMS to work with apps on the iPad and iPhone, but I have not been able to reproduce any of those results.

So, in r752 I have added experimental support for the iPad and iPhone in order to debunk this myth or prove it right.
I have tried the apps "Air Video Free" and "8 Player Lite", but they don't work at all.

The free app "yxplayer2 lite" gives some encouraging results.
It consistenly discovers PMS and the app even recognizes some of the types. Movie playback is terrible at the moment, but that is because the current "ipad-iphone.conf" needs some serious optimizing.

Please help us improve support for these devices by sharing your experiences. All suggestions are welcome! :)
Raptor399
Project Member

Re: iPad and iPhone

Postby DeFlanko » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:08 am

I stated a post a while ago on my findings...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6783&p=49120&hilit=deflanko#p49120

AirPlayer is nice. I got video to work on it. http://yfrog.com/gzxccop
Developed a few CONF files...
DeFlanko

Postby Raptor399 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:57 am

DeFlanko wrote:I stated a post a while ago on my findings...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6783&p=49120&hilit=deflanko#p49120

AirPlayer is nice. I got video to work on it. http://yfrog.com/gzxccop

Yeah, issue 173 and your post are what triggered me to dig deeper into this. Thanks! :-)

The reason for starting out with the free apps is that I was not sure of the playback success rate, plus I did not want to favor any particular paid app.

Now that it works a little on "yxplayer lite", I feel more confident in forking out the EUR 3.99 for AirPlayer.

I must admit it plays back wonderfully and has played back just about every format I've thrown at it, both on iPad and iPhone - although the latter can lack performance sometimes.
So far AirPlayer proves to be much better than yxplayer; the app feels fast and responsive and has rarely any hickups.
I have added support for AirPlayer in r753.

Note that the responsiveness is not purely the work of the app; the configuration file is what really makes these apps tick.
It may very well be that a better tuned "iPad-iPhone.conf" gets much improved results. The current version is very basic. I am not all that skilled in optimizing PMS configurations, so all feedback is welcome.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby taconaut » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:01 am

I've also had success with AirPlayer. With the default renderer configuration and turning the feature to use quicktime off in the player, low res videos play fine on both pad and phone. High res videos always get out of sync for A/V and the video stutters.
I think the best thing would be to be able to create a renderer configuration transcoding the A/V tracks to quicktime playable files; resizing the video to the used resolution and converting the audio track to one natively supported by quicktime. Haven't tried it yet though.
Thanks for the efforts :)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby SharkHunter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:11 am

For us Android user life is hard. Over a year ago now I did a remote control to android but the local video playback sucks. Mostly since android only supports mp4 native. Now I've scanned the market once more (I got a new device) and no one has solved this yet! There is a whole range of remote controls but no good local playback on the device support (all have some problem). How hard is it to transcode to mp4/h264? Maybe I should do some brush up and see if I can get rockplayer to love me...

Music of course works flawless since mp3 is supported.
SharkHunter

Postby taconaut » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:47 am

Natively supported video files are the same for phone (http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html) and pad (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)

Steve wrote:Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby DeFlanko » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:36 pm

i'm REALLY willing to try your iphone-ipad.conf and tell you of my results.

I do remember reading some where that Video Scaling had to be turned on - one thing i didn't like about that was that it was a global setting, not a stream specific device type setting. Im sure there is a way to incorporate an "if than" statement into java code =) and add another check box...

BTW... the system im using...

Code: Select all
Intel MB w/P4 HT 3.0 GhZ (its a 7 year old alienware...lol)
4 GB ram
Windows 7 Ultimate
DeFlanko

Postby DeFlanko » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:38 pm

SharkHunter wrote:For us Android user life is hard. Over a year ago now I did a remote control to android but the local video playback sucks. Mostly since android only supports mp4 native. Now I've scanned the market once more (I got a new device) and no one has solved this yet! There is a whole range of remote controls but no good local playback on the device support (all have some problem). How hard is it to transcode to mp4/h264? Maybe I should do some brush up and see if I can get rockplayer to love me...

Music of course works flawless since mp3 is supported.

Maybe if there was a way to utilize the "Web server" portion to output to HTML5...Just a thought..

Don't know if these helps:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1735 ... p-in-html5
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/video.html
DeFlanko

Postby Raptor399 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:08 pm

DeFlanko wrote:i'm REALLY willing to try your iphone-ipad.conf and tell you of my results.

Great!
You can find the latest version of iPad-iPhone.conf in the trunk.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby DeFlanko » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Raptor399 wrote:
DeFlanko wrote:i'm REALLY willing to try your iphone-ipad.conf and tell you of my results.

Great!
You can find the latest version of iPad-iPhone.conf in the trunk.

MKV's are still having a hard time Streaming - timing out.

Everything else still works, with the iPhone-iPad.conf file loaded. (of course before loading the CONF file MKVs acted the same way....)
DeFlanko

Next

Return to Alternative Media Renderers