Latest SVN build discussion

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Re: Latest SVN build discussion

Postby StreamHD » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Raptor399 wrote:If you use the default PS3.conf, the test should not fail. Remove or change PS3.conf and it will cause errors like the ones you see.

Would it be possible to add this info to the test failure message, along with the commit hash for the test? I think it will save headaches for both testers and devs.

The reason for the commit hash is that a dev might want to revert the commit for testing purposes. I've been doing this as it allows me to debug my patches with the aid of a modified ps3.conf
PMS 1.50.1-Snapshot (latest commit); 400MB buffer;
Samsung LCD D550 Series with custom conf; Sony PS3; Xbox 360;
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Postby Raptor399 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 am

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for:
  • The test no longer bombs out; it simply skips the test. You can see the number of skipped tests in the Maven output or the surefire report.
  • You get the message at compile time. To know the exact revision or status you can use "git log" or "git status".
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby marco275 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:14 am

After installing the laters build Yesterdag, I noticed that there is some 'improvement' in the shutdown plugin handling.
The shutdown folder is showing again but unfortunately if I select shutdown, nothing happens.
marco275

Postby StreamHD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:30 pm

The test no longer bombs out; it simply skips the test

Using the main branch with all commits up to commit 80e7c438...: About tab changes.
Here is part of my maven log using a ps3.conf which is modified to provide fake mkv support for debugging purposes:
Code: Select all
-------------------------------------------------------
 T E S T S
-------------------------------------------------------
Running net.pms.test.formats.FormatRecognitionTest
Tests run: 8, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 1.129 sec <<< FAILURE!
Running net.pms.test.formats.FormatTest
Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.001 sec
Running net.pms.test.RendererConfigurationTest
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.01 sec
Running net.pms.test.TaskRunnerTest
Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 1.032 sec

Results :

Failed tests:   testBackwardsCompatibility(net.pms.test.formats.FormatRecognitionTest): isCompatible() reporting different outcome than ps3compatible() for MKV expected:<false> but was:<true>
  testPlaystationVideoMkvCompatibility(net.pms.test.formats.FormatRecognitionTest): PS3 is reported to be incompatible with MKV expected:<false> but was:<true>

Tests run: 13, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 35.036s
[INFO] Finished at: Wed Feb 01 18:03:21 CAT 2012
[INFO] Final Memory: 14M/264M

The result is that the build fails. For a new dev that isn't familiar with ps3compatible(), he will need to troubleshoot to find the cause of this problem. There are also many people who like to stay up to date with latest version but have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem.

A straightforward message can save many headaches. e.g.
  testPlaystationVideoMkvCompatibility(net.pms.test.formats.FormatRecognitionTest): PS3 is reported to be incompatible with MKV expected:<false> but was:<true>
Make sure that ps3.conf has not been modified.

It doesn't really bother me, I'm just thinking about preventative measure for others.
PMS 1.50.1-Snapshot (latest commit); 400MB buffer;
Samsung LCD D550 Series with custom conf; Sony PS3; Xbox 360;
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Postby Raptor399 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Ah! You fiddled around with the PS3.conf!
Yes, then the test is supposed to bomb out as a warning to unsuspecting developers that just broke backwards compatibility which we hold dear. ;-)

I tried to put in as straight forward a message as possible: the test is really about testing Playstation compatibility with MKV. There's a lot of logic involved there, from the content of the "PS3.conf" via parsing the .conf files to the Format and MediaInfo code.
Any of those things can break the logic chain that should conclude PS3 is incompatible with MKV. The test itself has no idea which thing broke the chain, but it does know for sure that the chain was broken.
Hence the more general message: "PS3 is reported to be incompatible with MKV". Because that is all the test was trying to prove.

Feel free to improve test cases or add more unit tests!
It will help us a lot in keeping the behavior of PMS stable. And personally I find that writing the tests helps me in thoroughly understanding the behavior of some pieces of the existing code. :-)
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby coolwizkid » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:10 am

Raptor399 wrote:If running the external-resolve and external-install goals doesn't work, you can skip the procedure and install the files manually:

curl -O http://www.jgoodies.com/download/libraries/common/jgoodies-common-1_2_1.zip
unzip jgoodies-common-1_2_1.zip jgoodies-common-1.2.1/jgoodies-common-1.2.1.jar
mvn install:install-file -Dfile=jgoodies-common-1.2.1/jgoodies-common-1.2.1.jar \
   -DgroupId=com.jgoodies -DartifactId=common -Dversion=1.2.1 -Dpackaging=jar

curl -O http://www.jgoodies.com/download/libraries/forms/jgoodies-forms-1_4_2.zip
unzip jgoodies-forms-1_4_2.zip jgoodies-forms-1.4.2/jgoodies-forms-1.4.2.jar
mvn install:install-file -Dfile=jgoodies-forms-1.4.2/jgoodies-forms-1.4.2.jar \
   -DgroupId=com.jgoodies -DartifactId=forms -Dversion=1.4.2 -Dpackaging=jar

curl -O http://www.jgoodies.com/download/libraries/looks/jgoodies-looks-2_4_2.zip
unzip jgoodies-looks-2_4_2.zip jgoodies-looks-2.4.2/jgoodies-looks-2.4.2.jar
mvn install:install-file -Dfile=jgoodies-looks-2.4.2/jgoodies-looks-2.4.2.jar \
   -DgroupId=com.jgoodies -DartifactId=looks -Dversion=2.4.2 -Dpackaging=jar

Hope that helps! :-)

That helped a lot but now I am facing a new error

[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 2.530s
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Feb 03 21:04:32 EST 2012
[INFO] Final Memory: 3M/7M
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project pms: Could not resolve dependencies for project net.pms:pms:jar:1.50.2-SNAPSHOT: The following artifacts could not be resolved: de.innosystec:java-unrar:jar:0.5, jwbroek.cuelib:cuelib:jar:1.2.1-2008-06-13, mediautil:mediautil:jar:1.0: Failure to find de.innosystec:java-unrar:jar:0.5 in http://download.java.net/maven/2/ was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of java.net has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

I tried external-resolve and that didn't work for me either
coolwizkid

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 am

Well the original poster only had problems getting Maven to download the jgoodies stuff.
All other libraries downloaded just fine for him. It sounds like none of them loaded fine for you.

First of all, always make sure you tried the official way to install the dependencies:
mvn com.savage7.maven.plugins:maven-external-dependency-plugin:resolve-external

mvn com.savage7.maven.plugins:maven-external-dependency-plugin:install-external

These two commands should work just fine for everyone and download and install everything to your local repository.

If for some reason it does not work as expected, you can either figure out why it does not work as expected (as these two commands save you a lot of work ;-)), or you can manually download and install everything to your local repository.

If you select the latter, you will have to download and install each dependency marked with "XXX: not Mavenized" in the pom.xml.
This works as follows:

• Pick one of the dependencies, e.g. cuelib:
    <!-- XXX: not Mavenized: https://code.google.com/p/cuelib/ -->
    <dependency>
       <groupId>jwbroek.cuelib</groupId>
       <artifactId>cuelib</artifactId>
       <version>${cuelib-version}</version>
    </dependency>

• Look up the "${cuelib-version}" in the pom.xml properties:
    <cuelib-version>1.2.1-2008-06-13</cuelib-version>
  • Download the indicated version. You are looking for a ".jar" file, but sometimes you can only download a ".zip" file that contains the ".jar" file that you are looking for.
  • Install the ".jar" file to your local repository using Maven. Note that the filename plus the groupId, artifactId and version from the dependency are being used in the command:
    mvn install:install-file -Dfile=cuelib-1.2.1-2008-06-13.jar \
       -DgroupId=jwbroek.cuelib -DartifactId=cuelib -Dversion=1.2.1-2008-06-13 -Dpackaging=jar
  • Do this for each dependency that Maven reports missing.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby marco275 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 am

Watching a tv show yesterday I noticed that at some points the backgrondmusic and sounds muted when there was no dialog, at the moment the actors started to speak the background music sounds started also.
To check if it was the file itself who caused it, I played it on my PC using VLC, there it was just fine.
marco275

Postby SubJunk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:59 am

marco275 wrote:Watching a tv show yesterday I noticed that at some points the backgrondmusic and sounds muted when there was no dialog, at the moment the actors started to speak the background music sounds started also.
To check if it was the file itself who caused it, I played it on my PC using VLC, there it was just fine.
That can be fixed by unchecking "Remux when audio track is AC3"
SubJunk

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:16 am

SubJunk wrote:That can be fixed by unchecking "Remux when audio track is AC3"

I have enabled it by default and never had problems like that. Also logic says me that audio should be not touched so it should play exactly as on PC because possible problems generated by reencoding is ommited(like switched/lost channels)
ExSport

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds