pms-mlx (13-12-04 v1.0)

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby Sech » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 am

@taconaut

The debug.log I provided for you was during a period where I was watching a show. I started pms-mlx up, went and watched a whole show through pms-mlx on the PS3, ended the show @ 100% completion, and uploaded the debug.log to the forum. I just went and looked at the most recent entries in the debug.log after my wife watched a few shows on the PS3 & searched for any "started playing" entries (and other variations of search words) and couldn't find any.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "Is the play length being shown correct?" When I look at a show on the PS3, the information about the show is correct (i.e. it will show an episode's length being around 42 min.).
Sech

Postby taconaut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:19 am

@Sech
By what you're telling it seems there is a bug in the original pms. Play counts are being incremented through a plugin which is being notified by the original pms core. Right after a file starts/stops being played a message is being logged; if you don't see any, it hasn't been notified.
As I've never seen this happening, it's probably a special case and I need some more info for trying to narrow this down. I presume it's a related to a way for serving files (transcoding, streaming or re-muxing).

- What renderer are you using (e.g. ps3, Bravia...)?
- Have you modified the renderer.conf you're using?
- Could you please post the PMS.conf from the profile directory
- How did you play the files (shown video or through an option in the transcode folder)?

I'll check with the other devs if they know what the issue could be.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "Is the play length being shown correct?" When I look at a show on the PS3, the information about the show is correct (i.e. it will show an episode's length being around 42 min.).

That sounds good. As 80% of the file has to be played a possibility why it doesn't work could have been that the play length was higher then the real duration.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Sech » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am

taconaut wrote:- What renderer are you using (e.g. ps3, Bravia...)?

I am using the PS3 as the renderer.

taconaut wrote:- Have you modified the renderer.conf you're using?

I have not modified the renderer.conf. I don't know if this would help or not, but there does not seem to be a renderer.conf on the computer. It is not in the main application folder, the renderer forlder, or the ProgramData folder.

taconaut wrote:- Could you please post the PMS.conf from the profile directory

I have attached the PMS.conf

taconaut wrote:- How did you play the files (shown video or through an option in the transcode folder)?

I played the files through the shown video. I did not have to go through a transode folder. Some additional information if it helps, all the files I have been playing are XviD in AVI containers.
Attachments
PMS.conf.zip
(400 Bytes) Downloaded 43 times
Sech

Postby johnnysocko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:54 am

I've been trying to get a nice folder view in PS3MS of a very small video library (let's just say 1 .mkv file) pretty much all day. I'd like genre, seems like not much to ask for.

I've been all over taking out numerous things for a test drive - media monkey, media companion, others, and basically at the moment have it widdled down to this CCML plugin or this pms-mlx. I surely don't want to do it manual, or I'd set up the folder tree myself, and when I dug into this pms-mlx and some automated integration with tmdb, looked like it was too good to be true.

At the moment, I'm thinking it was too good to be true-simply because I can't get it to work. Interface looks simple enough, I scan a folder, and all I see is an alphabetic listing with my Avatar.mkv file. Doesn't matter what folder/file I use, same results. I see nothing in any tracing which suggests any calls being made out to tmdb, and see no evidence of a genre folder in the tree view. I see no evidence of thumbnails in the pms-mlx folder either.

Sure would be nice to see a very simple step-by-step page complete with BMPs shown as evidence of how to make this happen, if indeed that's what's supposed to happen. When I create tutorials, that's how I do it. That's the only way to be sure I can fully and easily connect the dots for my targeted user base. Wading through 20 pages of forum posts is brutal, and the wiki leaves a little to be desired.

Don't mean to demean the work you've done on this, and I'm hoping it is as good as I hope. It's been a long day with this stuff.
johnnysocko

Postby taconaut » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:33 am

@johnnysocko
You're right, that's exactly what mlx is intended for. Import data automatically and offer a not too complicated way to configure what shows up in the folders.
You're a victim of a not yet finished software, having some bugs, and incomplete documentation. I'll try to give the big lines of what you can check with the different required steps.

Importing data:
There's a bug in the current version NOT using plugins like imdb or tmdb (even if configured) when using the 'Scan Folder' button. Add a managed folde-> enable the plugins check box -> click on configure and configure and configure the plugins

Checking what has been imported:
Go to the library view and add e.g. the column 'Genres'; if no genres show up, you wont be able to sort by genre... The current version on GitHub fixes the sorting bug when clicking on a column header and let's edit properties either in the table itself or in a dialogue.

For people knowing how to run pms from eclipse, I'd be happy to get some feedback on the editing features in the library view.
If someone wants to help out with the documentation (or anything else) I'd gladly accept help, as it's a pretty lengths process to get to an easy to use and bulletproof software (the first post about what became this extension is dated 13.04.2009).
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby johnnysocko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks, @taconaut. So, I can now see a genre imported for "groundhog day" in this library view, and some thumbnails in programdata as well. So, what's your suggestion on getting the most from this plugin for a newb like me? Install eclipse, and setup a pms development environment? Would you prefer PM exchange? Just keep experimenting? Keep monitoring this forum and wait until it matures? Thanks
johnnysocko

Postby JRSly » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 am

gtjamesdad wrote:Hi,

Had a suggestion, although I don't know if it is practical....

I am using PMS as a comic server - used to browse CBR/CBZ files. That works fine (well, more or less, CBRs always say they are corrupted, but I converted everything to CBZ and all is well).

What I was wondering is if there is a way to associate a .jpg with a CBZ file, so it shows up as the folder icon? It would be a lot easier and nicer to browse comics by cover, than by filename.

I'm not sure if it is even possible, or if the UPNP client would know what to do with the .jpg if you provider it. But I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Could you describe your set up to accomplish this? I can't quite figure out how to set up an "images directory". This would be great to have, especially if I can get them to stream through my Android tablet.
JRSly

Postby taconaut » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:24 am

@johnnysocko
I'd suggest going throught he existing wiki on sourceforge and using the released version. It's pretty powerful already, but some parts aren't complete of very intuitive yet. I'll release a new version when these issues will be fixed/implemented
If you want to to compile it from scratch, feel free, but that's up to you :)
If you've got concrete questions on things you want to do I'd be happy to answer them here.

@JRSly
I was surprised as well, as mlx has only been implemented for videos yet. Pms must be able to show these files unzipped I guess (but I'm not using this feature). You'll probably have to enable unzipping and adding a file system folder (some way to show files as with pms) and configure a directory containing four CBZ's
taconaut
Project Member

Postby johnnysocko » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:55 pm

@taconaut - for my example, groundhog day, it shows as having say two genres. comedy and let's say fantasy. So, how to get the plugin to build the "genre" tree with nodes and have groundhog day appear in associated nodes?

And, I started on github yesterday. As Kramer would say, I've got a lot in the hopper buddy, so who knows how much time I'll get to put into this.
johnnysocko

Postby taconaut » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 pm

The easiest is to scan all your videos (not only bill murray flicks ;)), then you go to the tree, choose where you want your genres folder to be added, right click -> add auto folder -> select to generate genres folder et voilà, you've got a folder for each genre contained in your library, where e.g. groundhog day will show up in the two genre folders it contains.
taconaut
Project Member

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds