pms-mlx (2014-09-24 v1.1.0)

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby taconaut » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:23 pm

CyberMew wrote:Bug? You have to close and reopen the app in order to see the updated files in library.

All changes should be applied live without restarting pms; if it's not, it is a bug. I'd be surprised if it isn't working correctly, as I'm using this functionality all the time (e.g. after having played a file and the 'played' folder is being entered, the list is being refreshed to show the file having been played).

CyberMew wrote:TMDB? How do I use this such that my viewing experience is much better?

This will probably be changed to a plugin. The only use you get with configuring a tmdb account is that you can rate videos on tmdb from the ps3.

CyberMew wrote:File scanner and managed folders? Tree and library? What are their differences?

File scanner and managed folders do the same thing. If configuring a managed folder, new files can be imported with one click. It will become more useful when the watch function that will notice if a file is being added/removed/renamed in a watched folder and will update the library automatically will be added.
Currently the library is only there to view the information attached to a file. It will allow to manually or automatically edit/update content in a future release.
The tree is there to configure what will show up on the ps3. Define filters for files to show up in a folder, defnie the sort order and the name that will show up.

CyberMew wrote:What is the meaning of Actif, and how can I exclude files from my viewing folders if they are?

You'll be able to disable files for them NOT to show up in a folder; this hasn't been done yet.
Files can be excluded by setting conditions. E.g. 'folder path is not C:\videos\stuff_I_Dont_want_to_see'; it can be configured freely.

CyberMew wrote:Apologise for the questions, but there isno FAQ and the wiki is quite lacking..

The modification as well as the wiki are works in progress ;)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby CyberMew » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks for the reply! I managed to found the excluding filter setting for now by right clicking on it and selecting Edit. Took me quite some time though.

Yea, after scanning the folders, it showed I had 1 file (previously it was 0), and browsing through the tree/library, it had nothing. I almost uninstalled it until I decided to restart the app and voilà it appeared.

Two more questions here...

Under navigation/share settings tab, is it okay if I remove the <All Drives> now that it is configured via the Media Library?

Will covers automatically appear instead of the video thumbnails when I am viewing it on the PS3?


Can't test this now yet, but I will report back if I encounter any more problems.. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
CyberMew
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:31 am

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby taconaut » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:42 am

CyberMew wrote:Under navigation/share settings tab, is it okay if I remove the <All Drives> now that it is configured via the Media Library?

They aren't being used anymore, it's the same with other options like e.g.itunes. Enabling the transcode folder will show the folder when adding a file system folder though. These settings should all move to a configuration window for file system plugins.

CyberMew wrote:Will covers automatically appear instead of the video thumbnails when I am viewing it on the PS3?

If you import files using a plugin like imdb or tmdb, they should.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby Xytop » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:29 pm

I found this mod a few days ago and I really love it. Awesome library functionality, thanks for your hard work.

But I have a two questions:
1. is it somewhat possible to start/watch a trailer on the ps3 with the trailer url? if yes, how do i have to configure it? I only see the url but cant copy or open it.
2. How can I add a transcode folder to every movie, like in the original pms version, where I can decide with what langauge/subtitles I want to play the movie? The default transcode folder from mlx is empty. Or is there another way to choose from?

Then I also found a small bug (I think so at least :)). If i change the prefixes to ignore, it doesnt save. Its always the same 4 default prefixes (the le la les). I thought I could change it manually in a config file but couldnt find one for the media library tab.
Xytop
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby taconaut » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:04 pm

Xytop wrote:I found this mod a few days ago and I really love it. Awesome library functionality, thanks for your hard work.

Thanks! Glad it's being useful :)

Xytop wrote:1. is it somewhat possible to start/watch a trailer on the ps3 with the trailer url? if yes, how do i have to configure it? I only see the url but cant copy or open it.

Currently it's not. A plugin system to add files/folders to a file being shown as a folder exists. Someone has to create a FileDetailPlugin to do that. Alternativly a DlnaTreeFolderPlugin could be created to show all trailers in one folder.

Xytop wrote:2. How can I add a transcode folder to every movie, like in the original pms version, where I can decide with what langauge/subtitles I want to play the movie? The default transcode folder from mlx is empty. Or is there another way to choose from?

This is a bug in the current version. They should show up where you say. I didn't notice some changes to the original pms code. Will be fixed for the next release.
There's no way to automatically add a folder in every other folder like for # TRANSCODE # though, you'll have to copy/paste a detailed folder.

Xytop wrote:Then I also found a small bug (I think so at least :)). If i change the prefixes to ignore, it doesnt save. Its always the same 4 default prefixes (the le la les). I thought I could change it manually in a config file but couldnt find one for the media library tab.

This is a little confusing right now. The big save button doesn't save anything for mlx. Have you clicked the Apply button in the lower right? This should save the settings.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby JRSly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:57 am

I feel like a total buffoon, but I figure I'll be happier in the long run if I can get this figured out and I'll get over the humiliation eventually. :D

This seems to deliver just the kind of functions I'd want in a media library, flexible organization and sorting! But while there seems to be a lot of discussion about advanced, deep under the hood stuff...I'm having trouble accomplishing the simplest of things. I have zero experience with setting conditions and all that, so all I've managed to do is finally get my movies to display. But it just dumps everything, all my subfolders, into one huge list. Surely, you can instruct the program to display subfolders as they already exist on your drive, right? People haven't been making their own folders through PMS-MLX for every subfolder on their computer? With TV shows, that'd be a nightmare, all those subfolders with more subfolders for each season inside them.

Also, I'm really unclear on how you get information about your files into the program for sorting purposes. I've read things like 'query TMDB' but see no way to do that in the program. But then I just saw you state that its implementation in PMS-MLX currently only allows you to rate movies at TMDB, not download information. Is this still the case? Confused.

I apologize if I've, likely, missed some explanation on these aspects in the thread, I went through the whole thing last night, but it was late and the thread mostly seem filled with, like I said, quite advanced stuff that was way over my head and just confusing me more. It feels like it's just the real gearheads that are getting all the enjoyment, and there's not much help for the complete neophytes. From the folder trees to the cover art....it's so far been a huge hassle just trying to get to the state of the original PMS. I'm terrified of trying to add the actually features that MLX was made for! Maybe I'll come back to it after I take a course on programming...
JRSly
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:48 am

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby taconaut » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm

JRSly wrote:I feel like a total buffoon, but I figure I'll be happier in the long run if I can get this figured out and I'll get over the humiliation eventually. :D

lol please don't ;)

JRSly wrote:This seems to deliver just the kind of functions I'd want in a media library, flexible organization and sorting! But while there seems to be a lot of discussion about advanced, deep under the hood stuff...I'm having trouble accomplishing the simplest of things. I have zero experience with setting conditions and all that, so all I've managed to do is finally get my movies to display. But it just dumps everything, all my subfolders, into one huge list. Surely, you can instruct the program to display subfolders as they already exist on your drive, right? People haven't been making their own folders through PMS-MLX for every subfolder on their computer? With TV shows, that'd be a nightmare, all those subfolders with more subfolders for each season inside them.

You'll have to think a bit differently while using pms-mlx as opposed to pms. In pms you configure the folders to be shared and every folder existing on your computer will also show as a folder on the ps3. With pms-mlx folders can be created manually (I'll describe the automatic part a bit further down) and will contain files according to the set conditions. Videos have about 50 properties (like width, codec, name, file path etc) with which these conditions can be built. For your example with the subfolders you can e.g. create a folder with the condition 'folder path is <your_folder_path>' and all files contained in this folder will show up. Hope this clarifies the filtering system a bit.
Creating conditions solely based on the folder structure doesn't make much sense, as the same can be accomplished easily with pms; personally I don't use the folder path beside a condition 'folder path does not contain series' to avoid having series showing up where I don't want them to.

To make life a bit easier, when adding a folder (right click on a folder on the tree) there is an option to add auto folders. These will automatically create some folders; e.g. if adding a file system auto folder, a folder on your pc can be selected and it will automatically create the same structure that will show up in pms-mlx. Other folder types are e.g. genre, where a folder will be created for each genre existing in your library.

Last but not least, you can add a file system folder which isn't configurable (yet) and will show your files exactly as pms does. (that's how I show series)

JRSly wrote:Also, I'm really unclear on how you get information about your files into the program for sorting purposes. I've read things like 'query TMDB' but see no way to do that in the program. But then I just saw you state that its implementation in PMS-MLX currently only allows you to rate movies at TMDB, not download information. Is this still the case? Confused.

Since the last release, a plugin system is available, where information can be imported from anywhere. Currently tmdb and imdb are included by default. When importing files, you have to enable plugins and select the ones to use.
In the next release you'll be able to update this from the library view or edit it manually there.

WARNING: I've just recently discovered a bug! When importing files using the 'scan folder' button, plugins aren't being used. You have to create a managed folder for that (will be fixed in next release).

JRSly wrote:I apologize if I've, likely, missed some explanation on these aspects in the thread, I went through the whole thing last night, but it was late and the thread mostly seem filled with, like I said, quite advanced stuff that was way over my head and just confusing me more. It feels like it's just the real gearheads that are getting all the enjoyment, and there's not much help for the complete neophytes. From the folder trees to the cover art....it's so far been a huge hassle just trying to get to the state of the original PMS. I'm terrified of trying to add the actually features that MLX was made for! Maybe I'll come back to it after I take a course on programming...

Hope I could clarify some things for you as I've put quite some time trying to make an interface which isn't too complicated and definitely not intended to be used only by geeks. It's sometimes hard to find the balance between making it customizable and not overcomplicating it. Anyway, I'm always open to suggestions if you think something can be simplified :)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby JRSly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:22 am

It's sometimes hard to find the balance between making it customizable and not overcomplicating it.

I know just what you mean. Even with my whining and frustrations, definitely preferable how it is, with a ton of possibilities and a learning curve than an oversimplified, hand-holding program that's really restricted.

Thanks very much for your reply...I'm getting there! I've got my Movies folder pretty much set up how I like. I'd discovered the Plug-In checkbox and Configure button a couple days ago, but I was thwarted because hitting "Scan" didn't modify files that were already in my library. So I restarted my library with the Plug-in checked and everything's good now. So I've got the TMDB tags figured out. Very slick and a lot of fun to play with.

I'm still having issues with my TV Shows though. The Auto-Folders seemed to work like a charm. It quickly added folders for all my shows, along with all their subfolders when present. But no files appear in the folders. Nothing shows up in PMS-MLX itself when I check 'Show Folder Contents' and on the PS3 or my smart phone, when I select a folder it says, "No title/content is present". I've attached a couple screenshots of one of my TV child folders to see if this is how it's supposed to behave or if I've done something wrong.

Image

Image

Edit: Nevermind, got it figured out! When I first added my auto-folders, they were all 'File' type, not 'Video'. I suspected that might have been a problem, but there was no way to choose the type of folder you wanted to create when creating Auto-Folders. The only way I could see to quickly make Video Auto-Folders was to first make a single TV Shows folder, classified as "Video", and then repeat the step to make all of the TV show Auto Folders as children of this folder. So I had...

Root\
---TV Shows(Video)\
-----TV Shows(Video)\
--------Show 1
--------Show 2
--------Show 3

I then dragged the child "TV Shows" folder out under the Root and I'm perfect! I don't know, I have a hunch that my issue still might ultimately have been due to an oversight on my part and I've gone through all this for nothing. :D But it's working now, and that's what's important. Now it's time to play some more with it...
JRSly
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:48 am

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby JRSly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 am

Okay, another question..sorry. :)

I'm trying to setup a 'Current' tv shows folder, containing shows that are currently airing. So each week when a new episode has been added(right now, I've got a 2 week range for episodes to appear in this folder and stuff will drop off the list as their insert date exceeds two weeks), we could quickly go to this folder and see the most recent additions to the library. With movies, this is nice and simple, but once again the child folders of the TV section make things a bit more complicated. Functionally, everything is working. Episodes are appearing in this folder just as intended. But I'd like to be able to identify things a bit better if I could. With my library, I have a parent folder for the show with the name of the show in it and then children folders of the season and inside those folders the actual files are labeled: S01E01, S01E02, etc and the episode title if they have one. So with my 'Current' folder, I'll get a list of files like this:

S03E12
S04E06
S02E11

While typically, it'll be easy to identify by the thumbnail or the episode title...we're messing with PMS-MLX so we can have a slick, smart interface, right!? :D So I'd like to be able to create a naming convention that will add the title of the show at the beginning of the file name. I've had a couple thoughts...

My first thought was, could any folders that have been updated appear inside this 'Current' folder? For instance, if I add new episode of "The Office" and "Supernatural" to my library this week, could my 'Current' folder automatically add just those folders as children? I kinda doubt it, but I also wouldn't be surprised. My second thought was to add a % tag to the Mask, I didn't see any way to access tag style information for TV episodes the way they exist and are automatically provided by TMDB with movies. So I added %folder_path and that does the job well enough...but it displays the entire folder path all the way to the root of the drive. Is there a way to write a %folder_path operator to instruct it to display only certain steps of the path?

Right now, an episode in my Current file might be displayed as: M:\My VIdeos\TV Shows\The Office\Season 7\S07E12

Is there a way I could make it display simply as : The Office\Season 7\S07E12

Okay...to sum it up, my questions are, can I clean up the %folder_path instruction a little bit or is there a way to display a title or tag of some sort attached to the individual episode files that could be displayed?
JRSly
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:48 am

Re: pms-mlx (03.12.11 v0.6)

Postby Sech » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm having a little trouble getting this to work properly on my Windows Vista system. My problem is that pms-mlx does not keep up-to-date with new files. As new episodes of TV are downloaded, I have to go in to pms-mlx and manually update the list by using the file scanner option. Also, pms-mlx does not seem to remove shows from the "Never Played" list until I quit and restart the program. It does not update automatically. Lastly, if I use "Clean Library", the updates will not take effect until after I have quit and restarted the program. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Sech
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:24 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests