Latest Windows/Linux beta build discussion

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Re: Latest Windows/Linux beta build discussion

Postby otmanix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi Ottoman1384,

have a look at the changelog: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/source/list
They are trying to merge the available community patches into the official code. I like it :)

Otmanix

Update
Here you can find further infos about differences between the builds: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8001
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby brotherjohn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:01 pm

At the moment I think, that make no sense to build a beta version because it's work in progress...
Subjunk and chocolateboy make permanently new changes, fixes and enhancements...(now r441) so I think we wait for the next official beta or final :D
brotherjohn

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 pm

The more people there are testing and providing feedback on snapshots, the more that will improve and accelerate development of the next beta release. The more people there are testing and providing feedback on betas, the more that will improve and accelerate development of the next stable release.

So, thanks Otmanix! :-)
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby shagrath » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:22 pm

brotherjohn wrote:At the moment I think, that make no sense to build a beta version because it's work in progress...
Subjunk and chocolateboy make permanently new changes, fixes and enhancements...(now r441) so I think we wait for the next official beta or final :D

totally agreed :)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby otmanix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 pm

I think that most of the people which read this beta thread know the difference between a stable build and a beta. But lots of them don't know how to compile and even if there's a tutorial for that most prefer downloading a beta. They know that it is work in progress and don't expect that all is working 100% perfectly. Nevertheless they are interested in trying out the new stuff. One can change back to previous version with little effort. So what's the problem?
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby mazey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:45 pm

maccroche wrote:Hallo mazey,
thank you for this conf file, I will try it with my bravia V5500!
Have you also tested the internet radio and internt video streaming? Does it work correctly?

sorry man i dont use the web streams at all, i blank the file out.. im guessing with mediainfo=true on it would work better also. the problem was before all .mpg's/.mpegs were treated the same cuz bravia can play mpg (without transcoding) but the problem was some mpg is different from others and it only likes the select few, with media info it scans and knows if its actually supported for streaming if not then its transcoded, so it should be better..

apparently mkv's arent playing good anymore, could u test it out on a few if u have any, cuz i dont have any mkvs.
Last edited by mazey on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby brotherjohn » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:10 am

otmanix wrote:I think that most of the people which read this beta thread know the difference between a stable build and a beta. But lots of them don't know how to compile and even if there's a tutorial for that most prefer downloading a beta. They know that it is work in progress and don't expect that all is working 100% perfectly. Nevertheless they are interested in trying out the new stuff. One can change back to previous version with little effort. So what's the problem?

No problem at all for me. But people who try out these versions and perhaps post an issue, it might be already obsolete because of a new build which already fixes the problem or they get an issue because of a temporarily build and maybe they might get frustrated of testing. The conclusion is, if the new beta or final is released they are tired of testing and ...there I fully agree to chocolateboy: the more people are testing the new version, the better and stable the software will be.
brotherjohn

Postby marco275 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:31 pm

People can read http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/source/list here what changes are implemented and then decide if they want to install the update, personaly I update only if something is changed that is usefull for me.

Thank you otmanix! :D
marco275

Postby Blade_Beam » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 pm

meskibob wrote:
Blade_Beam wrote:Shagrath, I noticed something about the Max Bitrate Limit. I was helping my brother set up PMS over Wifi for his PS3 (I use a wired connection) and he was trying to limit the bitrate to 15 Mbps and had his Mpeg2 qualtiy set to Low WiFI and he was still having the bitrate jump over the limit he set with the rip he was using (he was using a 1080 rip, I know). Well, I was playing around helping a friend out and I noticed that the PS3.conf file has the VideoMaxBitrateMbps=0 while the 360 is set to 30, so I got to thinking that maybe the render config files were overruling the PMS.conf settings. So I tried an experiment for my brother, since I'm connected through a wired connection, I leave everything maxed out for best quality, well, I set the PS3.conf limit to 15 and left all of my PMS.conf settings the way I always keep them, max bitrate=0, etc, and I played a 720 rip and a mkv of Howl's Moving Castle whose opening in the hat store always gives me problems because I have the video scaler on set to 1080, it'll still go 100+ mbps over a wired connection and overflow my network and stutter. Well, after setting the PS3.conf to 15, my bitrate never passed 15, the highest I obtained, with all of my other settings intact, was 14.6. So I think there may be a problem in the code where the render configs overrule the PMS.conf.

This is working as intended. It's not that the renderer overrules, it's that PMS uses the lower of the two values (remember that 0 is unlimited).
In the case of your brother with the PS3 on wifi, the "bitrate jump" is due to the PS3 reporting the wrong bandwidth during stuttering.
In your case, the initial values were both unlimited, so it stayed unlimited. Then you forced 15 on one, so it forced 15. If you set the PS3.conf to 100 and PMS.conf to 15 you should see it force 15.
As for stuttering in general - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=90#p42818

But meskibob, that doesn't explain the fact why, for both of us (I've done this over wifi too), that when we leave the ps3.conf alone and default and limit the bitrate in the PMS.conf to 15, it will still go over 15, i've seen 20's-40's during stuttering jumps over wifi with the PMS.conf bitrate set to 15, but when i set the PS3.conf to 15, that corrected the issue, for both of us. My brother is able to use PMS over wifi now without any problems, so I'm not convinced that PMS.conf is working properly.
Blade_Beam

Postby LFLFM » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Blade_Beam wrote:
meskibob wrote:
Blade_Beam wrote:Shagrath, I noticed something about the Max Bitrate Limit. I was helping my brother set up PMS over Wifi for his PS3 (I use a wired connection) and he was trying to limit the bitrate to 15 Mbps and had his Mpeg2 qualtiy set to Low WiFI and he was still having the bitrate jump over the limit he set with the rip he was using (he was using a 1080 rip, I know). Well, I was playing around helping a friend out and I noticed that the PS3.conf file has the VideoMaxBitrateMbps=0 while the 360 is set to 30, so I got to thinking that maybe the render config files were overruling the PMS.conf settings. So I tried an experiment for my brother, since I'm connected through a wired connection, I leave everything maxed out for best quality, well, I set the PS3.conf limit to 15 and left all of my PMS.conf settings the way I always keep them, max bitrate=0, etc, and I played a 720 rip and a mkv of Howl's Moving Castle whose opening in the hat store always gives me problems because I have the video scaler on set to 1080, it'll still go 100+ mbps over a wired connection and overflow my network and stutter. Well, after setting the PS3.conf to 15, my bitrate never passed 15, the highest I obtained, with all of my other settings intact, was 14.6. So I think there may be a problem in the code where the render configs overrule the PMS.conf.

This is working as intended. It's not that the renderer overrules, it's that PMS uses the lower of the two values (remember that 0 is unlimited).
In the case of your brother with the PS3 on wifi, the "bitrate jump" is due to the PS3 reporting the wrong bandwidth during stuttering.
In your case, the initial values were both unlimited, so it stayed unlimited. Then you forced 15 on one, so it forced 15. If you set the PS3.conf to 100 and PMS.conf to 15 you should see it force 15.
As for stuttering in general - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=90#p42818

But meskibob, that doesn't explain the fact why, for both of us (I've done this over wifi too), that when we leave the ps3.conf alone and default and limit the bitrate in the PMS.conf to 15, it will still go over 15, i've seen 20's-40's during stuttering jumps over wifi with the PMS.conf bitrate set to 15, but when i set the PS3.conf to 15, that corrected the issue, for both of us. My brother is able to use PMS over wifi now without any problems, so I'm not convinced that PMS.conf is working properly.

Well, I've never really tried the bandwidth limit; but, I have a story that might relate:
I used to have a (theoretically) 100mbps router (cheap thing) and when I played 1080p stuff, I'd get stuttering in high detail scenes and bitrates would go as high as 180mbps. I thought to myself: time to upgrade the network.
I bought a 1gbps switch and some cat6 cables (low quality cat6's cos in my country it seems good quality, shielded cat6's don't exist, people actually looked at me like "WTF" when I asked them for it... anyway...). Now, those same scenes that went as high as 180mbps now stay at 60~75mpbs! Highest I usually get is 90mbps. (I do have a movie with a scene that goes over 200mbps; and it stutters a little bit when that happens; I'm blaming the crappy cables that I bought).
So, this is my theory:
- 100mbps cables+router can't handle anything higher than 60mbps; so when PMS sends 80mbps, network gets clogged and accumulates data, so the PS3 shows me 180mbps because its 3 seconds late on 60mbps connection or something of the sort.
- When network supports higher bitrate, it now just tells me the real bitrate of the movie.

Why am I saying this, maybe your brother's wifi network is getting clogged and when the stuttering starts, its really just accumulating data; which is why its giving you a higher reading than PMS should be sending.
Remeber, wifi sucks. Packets get lost, radio interference corrupt packets and the real transfer ends up a lot slower than you should think you have. Also, there are some good and cheap 300mbps wifi routers with QOS now; your brother might wanna take a look.
LFLFM

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds