PMS SubJunk Build

Download and discuss official beta builds here

Re: PMS SubJunk Build (Updated 26/02/2011)

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:44 pm

gate1975mlm wrote:Why was it removed in the first place?

It hasn't been removed. Wait until the relevant transcoding engine is updated for your build, or use the beta.

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtop ... 904#p36904
chocolateboy
Project Member

consistent mkv streaming crash

Postby aenimon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Problem: Following 15/20 minutes of streaming, I watched on my PS3 Media Server Status page as the transcoding buffer status decreased from a solid 100MB down to zero and then empty. The show then prompty paused on my TV screen and could not be resumed. Has anyone else had this problem? It is quite consistent on my system despite attempts to tweak settings such as the transcoding buffer size (tried 600, 400, 200 and now 300), install different PS3 Media Server Versions, use different encoder versions, etc.

Computer Specs: Intel Core i7 930 (2.8GHz), 6GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 7
Server: 1.21.0-SB13
Local Network Setup: PC->Gigabit Switch (Netgear GS108)->PS3
Encoding Engine: MEncoder

This is my first post, so if there is additional information you might need, my apologies. I'd be happy to provide them. Thanks for all your hard work.
Attachments
debug.zip
My zipped log file
(90.25 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
aenimon

Postby Coltaine79 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 am

Thanks for reading and responding to my feedback!

I'm curious, what is the deal with the build # you've chosen for "mencoder-older"? Apart from the ASS/non-ASS thing, what about MKVs which were muxxed with "header stripping" - can the older build handle that?

SubJunk wrote:There may be some cases where MEncoder is using the single CPU version with audio conversion or muxing. They will be changed eventually but since those tasks require hardly any CPU there's no rush :)

Actually in the case I'm referring to (the file in the mediainfo screenshot) I'm playing it via Mencoder, transcoded to MPEG2. Since the source file is an AVC stream which is being transcoded to high-bitrate MPEG2 for the PS3, it should be using quite a lot of CPU. I think it's the presence of the DTS track which causes NON-MT build to be utilized. I will attempt to prove this by remuxxing the movie file without any audio track and see if it uses MT build or NON-MT build...
Coltaine79

Postby SubJunk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 am

Coltaine79 wrote:Thanks for reading and responding to my feedback!

I'm curious, what is the deal with the build # you've chosen for "mencoder-older"? Apart from the ASS/non-ASS thing, what about MKVs which were muxxed with "header stripping" - can the older build handle that?
No, the older build can't do header compression. That's the main reason I'm doing all this mencoder stuff; that and vobsub support.
SubJunk

Postby Coltaine79 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:23 am

SubJunk,

I did some more analysis on the "bug #3" issue and this is what I have found:

Let's say you have 2 MKV files:

File_A.mkv: h264 video + DTS audio

File_B.mkv: h264 video + DTS audio + ASS subtitles

(they're actually from the same source, but File_A had the subtitles stripped)

When File_A is played, javaw.exe has 3 child processes:

mencoder_mt.exe <-- high cpu usage: for video transcode, I assume
tsmuxer.exe <-- for DTS remux?
mencoder.exe <-- for demux?

However, when File_B is played, javaw.exe has these 3 child processes:

mencoder.exe <-- high cpu usage
tsmuxer.exe
mencoder.exe

The first scenario looks good.
The second scenario is cause for concern because the video transcode child process is using single-core mencoder!
Is it the presence of the ASS subtitles which is causing this difference?

But wait, there's more!
The above was all tested with "ASS/SSA Subtitles" = UNchecked.

When "ASS/SSA Subtitles" = CHECKED, the first scenario remains the same, while the second scenario changes to this:

File_B.mkv:

mencoder-older_mt.exe <-- high cpu usage
tsmuxer.exe
mencoder.exe

Now it looks good. But I prefer to leave the ASS subtitle setting disabled so I hope you are able to squash this bug... I prefer multicore transcoding :)
Coltaine79

Postby SubJunk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:46 am

Coltaine79 wrote:SubJunk,

I did some more analysis on the "bug #3" issue and this is what I have found:

Let's say you have 2 MKV files:

File_A.mkv: h264 video + DTS audio

File_B.mkv: h264 video + DTS audio + ASS subtitles

(they're actually from the same source, but File_A had the subtitles stripped)

When File_A is played, javaw.exe has 3 child processes:

mencoder_mt.exe <-- high cpu usage: for video transcode, I assume
tsmuxer.exe <-- for DTS remux?
mencoder.exe <-- for demux?

However, when File_B is played, javaw.exe has these 3 child processes:

mencoder.exe <-- high cpu usage
tsmuxer.exe
mencoder.exe

The first scenario looks good.
The second scenario is cause for concern because the video transcode child process is using single-core mencoder!
Is it the presence of the ASS subtitles which is causing this difference?

But wait, there's more!
The above was all tested with "ASS/SSA Subtitles" = UNchecked.

When "ASS/SSA Subtitles" = CHECKED, the first scenario remains the same, while the second scenario changes to this:

File_B.mkv:

mencoder-older_mt.exe <-- high cpu usage
tsmuxer.exe
mencoder.exe

Now it looks good. But I prefer to leave the ASS subtitle setting disabled so I hope you are able to squash this bug... I prefer multicore transcoding :)
You're right that it's a slight bug that I'll fix soon, but can you let me know why you want to disable the "ASS/SSA Subtitles" option?
SubJunk

Postby Madoka » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 am

SubJunk wrote:You're right that it's a slight bug that I'll fix soon, but can you let me know why you want to disable the "ASS/SSA Subtitles" option?

For me on r507, if I have a x264 file with external subtitles, checking ASS support will result in fast forward play of the video. If I uncheck ASS support and use the default subtitles, then the video will play normally with subtitles.
Last edited by Madoka on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madoka

Postby SubJunk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 am

Madoka wrote:
SubJunk wrote:You're right that it's a slight bug that I'll fix soon, but can you let me know why you want to disable the "ASS/SSA Subtitles" option?

For me on r507, if I have a x264 file with external subtitles, checking ASS support with result in fast forward play of the video. If I uncheck ASS support and use the default subtitles, then the video will play normally with subtitles.
Is it the same with this build?
SubJunk

Postby mazey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 am

lol im still using sb16 works great, ill wait for some decent features before i upgrade hah. nothing good for me in sb17 since i always clear my web.conf file. :)
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby Coltaine79 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 am

err, good question. Personally, the "fast forward issue" never affected me, so my reason would be "I always did it that way". heh.

yes, i can try enabling "Ass/Ssa Subtitles" going forward, no harm in that.
Coltaine79

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Builds