Self Contained PS Media Server On Boot Disk

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Self Contained PS Media Server On Boot Disk

Postby amercaldi » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:36 am

I have been developing a self running DVD which you can boot from on either Windows or Linux. Once booted you can setup your library shares and broadcast to any PS3 (right from the disk or it will install a small partition with minimum ram that you can dual boot to). This is in test and if anyone is interested I will include more information about all of the functionality of this software. Please let me know if you're interested to know more.

Thanks,
Tony
amercaldi

Re: Self Contained PS Media Server On Boot Disk

Postby meskibob » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:04 pm

Any differences from this live CD? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5991
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby amercaldi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:57 am

Hi,

I haven't used that software so I can't speak to it. I will tell you why I built this and what it does. My nephew is in college and wanted software to play his movies and listen to music etc.. on his PS3 or anyone's PS3 in his dormitory.

Many people were having a hard time streaming media to their PS3 so I created a live disk server for both 32 and 64 bit operating systems (Windows and Linux) using the PS3 Media Server Software. You can use it as a boot disk and run it from the DVD or USB Drive. You also can install it to your hard drive creating a dual boot system. It will take up 10 GIGs of space and operates on as little as 512 MB of Ram.

What It Does
It has a graphical interface for simplicity!!!

1) You can select the directories you wish to share and stream it to the PS3. The setup was so simple even my wife was able to use it :D
2) You can connect wireless or direct connect. I have setup a DHCP server on the disk so the PS3 can get an IP address from it.
3) If you install it to your hard drive it will update like any operating system will. So you will always have the most current
CODECs and drivers.
4) You can stream just about any type of media you have, DVD ISO's, MP4, MPEG, MP3, FLAC etc..
5) NTFS read/write support so it has access to your Windows directories.
6) Uses built in user accounts.
7) Samba Server is configured and active for sharing.

Pretty much will do everything you need done to stream media to any PS3. I am creating a website and it will be much more detailed. If anyone is interested in testing I will be posting an email address for your request and will email you back a link. I will post this in a couple of days.

Hope this helps,
Tony
amercaldi

Postby oostroma » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:36 pm

I would be interested in testing the project you are working on.

Albert
oostroma

Postby ling001 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:27 am

I appreciate your article.
ling001

Postby doc9463 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:46 pm

I would be interested in a copy as well.
doc9463

Postby devildog93 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Sounds interesting. Might be handy in certain situations. Sign me up.....just so I can see what it's all about. 8-)
devildog93

Postby cry8wolf9 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:12 am

my questions are, will if work off of a flash drive? also will it support .mkv and .mkv with subtitles? other than that sign me up!
cry8wolf9

Postby j2048b » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:32 pm

also interested, if it works on mac's?

thanks
j2048b

Return to Additions and Plugins