Interfaced: A Plex/Trakt/Pushover Script (2012.12.02)

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Interfaced: A Plex/Trakt/Pushover Script (2012.12.02)

Postby righteousbs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:33 am

Interfaced Script: A Plex/Trakt/Pushover Script for use with Jumpy Plugin within PS3 Media Server

Description:
Use this script to interface Plex, Trakt, and Pushover with PS3 Media Server through the Jumpy Plugin.

Serve your Plex library within PS3 Media Server, scrobble your watched videos back to Plex and Trakt, and send push notifications to Pushover.

Plex Media Server-->Interfaced-->Jumpy-->PS3 Media Server-->Client (PS3, etc.)
Client-->PS3 Media Server-->Jumpy-->Interfaced-->Plex, Trakt, Pushover

Download:
https://github.com/righteousbs/Interfaced/blob/master/Interfaced.py

Usage:
Install Plex and add media to your library
Install PS3 Media Server
Install Jumpy Plugin
Setup Trakt and/or Pushover Accounts
Download Interfaced.py, modify the script per Plex, Trakt, Pushover Account Settings
Configure jumpy-scripts.ini with the following:
Code: Select all
   [Interfaced]
   cmd = "YOURPATHTOTHESCRIPT\Interfaced.py"

Start up PS3 Media Server

Change Log:
Publishes the entire Plex library including all Plex supported media filters, as well as a couple of personalized custom filters.
Sample List of Plex supported media filter by media type:
All Shows/Movies/Artists
Unwatched
Recently Added/Released, Aired, Viewed
On Deck
By Collection, First Letter, Genre, Year, Decade, Director, Starring, Country, Content Rating, Resolution, Folder, Album

Personalized custom filters:
All Unwatched Videos
All Recently Added Videos

Currently supports the following video categories from your Plex library:
Unwatched
Recently Added

Origin Story:
I am a simple man with simple dreams. I want to maintain a neatly organized media library and I want to easily access my new content on my PS3 without having to drill down all the layers of structured folders.

My media consuming habits have been strewn with many manually intensive processes. I have been retrieving media and storing it in a dedicated new arrival folder, which is served with PS3 Media Server. After I watch the show I move the file to a storage folder and add it to my digital library using TV Rename. This process has taken a toll on me.

So I have finally made the jump and migrated to alternative tools which have proved useful in streamlining my media consumption process. The Interfaced script is the conclusion of this process.

I am a long time fan of PS3 Media Server. The tool is extremely versatile at serving all types media content to my PS3, however the only feature that I find lacking is support for functional media library indexing.

Plex is an excellent media library host and indexing tool and it happens to support DLNA. After using Plex for a few weeks I just cant get enough of the various indexing options available (Recently Added, Watched, On Deck, etc.), I just wish the Plex DLNA playback on the PS3 was better (Plex transcodes my media even when PS3 can natively play it).

So I decided that marrying the two provided the best solution that satisfies my nit-picky needs. This script is my attempt to solving a long sought after solution to a versatile Media Library and Media Server system. This has made my life easier, maybe it will do the same for you.
Last edited by righteousbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
righteousbs

Re: Interfaced: A Plex/Trakt/Pushover Script

Postby chocolateboy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:30 am

righteousbs wrote:Recently Added, Watched

These (and many more media library options) are available in pms-mlx.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby righteousbs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Choc, Thanks for the heads up.

Any steps/attempts to provide an ultimate Media Library and Media Server solution is definitely worth taking a look at. As I mentioned earlier, up until writing Interfaced.py there wasn't a tool that would satisfy my needs, that includes the PS3 Media Server (any branch, including pms-mlx, nor the xbmc plugin), tversity, servio, orb, playon, plex etc. Hence "Interfaced" was born, a blend of two great worlds Plex Media Manager and PS3 Media Server,

pms-mlx Is a sound concept, however I find to be a bit cumbersome to manage media. Its just not as user friendly, simple, or as established as Plex. Once that branch is cleaned up and ironed out I might revisit it down the line.

The xbmc plugin is great since it can be applied to Plex as well. I have found it to be too distracting with all of the displayed metadata. If I ever have a need for further information on a video I'll just pull it up on my iPhone from any one of my librarys (Sickbeard/Couchpotato/Plex/Trakt). I can see using this plugin as a good reference/starting point if I ever get time to morph Interfaced.py into a bonafide plugin.

Cheers.
righteousbs

Postby infidel » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for using jumpy :)! One slight emendation if I may:

righteousbs wrote:configure Jumpy to point to the script

Translation:
  • put Interfaced.py in plugins/jumpy.
infidel

Postby S7eele » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Glad I ran across this thread, been working with Jumpy, XBMC w/ addons, PMS-MLX and more recently trakt. I have not ventured into PLEX territory but will do so soon I am sure. I have a question I am hoping might save me a lot of wasted time and effort. It would be awesome if I could scrobble what is being played via PMS to Trakt but it almost sounds like it will only work if I am serving my media library through PLEX. I looked through the python script and even though I am not versed in python it seemed like there were three or four seperate sections, one of which was for Trakt integration. If I use the script without using PLEX or Pushover will the Trakt scrobbling from PMS still work? Is there a way I could implement just the PMS to Trakt scrobbling feature?

Thanks to all for your hard work on an excellent project!

Peace!
S7eele

Postby righteousbs » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 pm

S7eele wrote:If I use the script without using PLEX or Pushover will the Trakt scrobbling from PMS still work?

No, the script pulls videos and metadata hosted from your Plex library, the videos get served through PMS and the respective metaData gets used for Trakt.

S7eele wrote:Is there a way I could implement just the PMS to Trakt scrobbling feature?

Yes, you certainly can customize the script, but you'll need to provide the parameters that associate your video file to Trakt's library in another manner (Trakt Seen Show API). If you are able to provide the meta data required for the Trakt API then you are set to customize the Interfaced script (delete,remove, or diasble the Plex/Pushover classes, add in hooks to your file association software, and rewrite the PMS callback portion to display your preferred folder structure).

you would need to to do something like this...
(Sudo code)

listoffiles = MyInterestingVideos # i use Plex.Unwatched and Plex.RecentlyAdded

for file in listoffiles {
PushFileToPMS(file) # see the "Interface with PMS" portion of the script
}

# scrobble to trakt
if userCommandsScrobble {
metaData = MethodX.CorrelateMetaData(fileToScrobble) # i call Plex.MetaData...you can supplement your own method
trakt.Scrobble(metaData)
}

I used to do my own tv show file association using python and the thetvdb api but I have no need to use it anymore since discovering Plex, I just leave that bit to the professionals. I choose Plex because its a great media library organizer, simple to use and is an accurate meta data matcher, it offers an API to easily pull this sort of information, and supports a number of clients with a great ui (i mainly use it on my ios devices). Okay enough love on Plex. Let me know if you come up with something.
righteousbs

Postby fiyastarting » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:01 am

I don't understand how to install this. I already have Plex installed then exited both Plex and PMS then installed jumpy and moved Interfaced.py into plugins/jumpy , but I don't see any difference? Is recently added and recently watched folders supposed to show up when i browse the PS3 Media server? Thank you for your time.
fiyastarting

Postby righteousbs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:22 am

Sounds like you have all the tools in place.

Here's a few questions...

Do you see the Jumpy plugin as a root folder when you begin browsing on your PS3 (XMB->Video->Jumpy->Interfaced->Recently Added/Unwatched)?

Rather than dropping Interfaced.py into the plugin/jumpy folder, try configuring the jumpy-scripts.ini file directly (located C:\ProgramData\PMS) with the following:
Code: Select all
[Interfaced]
cmd = "YOURPATHTOTHESCRIPT\Interfaced.py"

you'll of course need to supplement YOURPATHTOTHESCRIPT with the actual path on your own system.

Is your Plex server different than the default port (localhost:32400)?
righteousbs

Postby fiyastarting » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:37 am

That did the trick. Thank you!
fiyastarting

Re: Interfaced: A Plex/Trakt/Pushover Script (2012.12.02)

Postby fiyastarting » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:57 am

OK I am having another problem. I didn't change any settings and now when I brose -> Interfaced I get "There are no titles."
fiyastarting

Next

Return to Additions and Plugins