Jumpy: Jump into Python (and onto XBMC) Updated 22 Sep 2012

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Re: PMS-Jumpy: Jump into Python (and onto XBMC) update:12.03

Postby ncube2 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Installed the plugin, am able to see the addons from XBMC on my ps3. Now the problem i have is when i play the live channels it starts to play, plays great for about 5 mins n then the transcoding buffer status keeps building, upto a point where the stream freezes n stops as the javaw.exe process takes up 100% of the memory.
How do i get rid of this... Any input guys. Thanks.

PS: i ve increased the transcoding buffer to 1000mb from 600 default but the same thing happens in about 5 mins of play.
ncube2

Postby infidel » Sat May 12, 2012 7:13 pm

ncube2 wrote: i ve increased the transcoding buffer to 1000mb from 600 default

I'm no expert but are you following the procedure described in the faq, i.e. adjusting your java heap size too? It actually recommends decreasing the transcode buffer since pms is likely requesting more memory than is available to the jvm, which is probably causing the freezing.

glenrocks wrote:Btw what does that return does? just curious!

It's just a hole in the jumpy module, 1ch expects to receive something it can interpret as an integer, but instead gets '', i.e nothing. The new return is just a temporary fix.
infidel

Postby ncube2 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks for pointing me with the link.. made some changes its a little better i mean.. plays a channel for while before the stream crashes.
If i flip channels then it crashes faster due to the old ffmpeg.exe process build up and they dont seem to get killed automatically... Is there a fix for this.

Thanks

infidel wrote:
ncube2 wrote: i ve increased the transcoding buffer to 1000mb from 600 default

I'm no expert but are you following the procedure described in the faq, i.e. adjusting your java heap size too? It actually recommends decreasing the transcode buffer since pms is likely requesting more memory than is available to the jvm, which is probably causing the freezing.
ncube2

Postby infidel » Wed May 16, 2012 5:10 am

ncube2 wrote:old ffmpeg.exe process build up and they dont seem to get killed automatically... Is there a fix for this.

It's happened to me too with older versions of pms, but I have nothing particularly useful to suggest. It's really a question for the pms developers.
infidel

Postby Raptor399 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:44 am

infidel wrote:
ncube2 wrote:old ffmpeg.exe process build up and they dont seem to get killed automatically... Is there a fix for this.

It's happened to me too with older versions of pms, but I have nothing particularly useful to suggest. It's really a question for the pms developers.

Every now and then a subprocess hangs despite efforts in the code to make sure every process is killed.
We do not have a solution for it, but suggestions are always welcome.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby taconaut » Wed May 16, 2012 7:07 am

Did anyone investigate further if using Thread.setDaemon(true) would help?
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby timeitniear » Fri May 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi.....

Trying to get jumpy working without much luck. I have installed the piugin, Py4j, Python, and added paths to in PMS.Conf to Python. I don't see the addins, or Hello demo. When looking at the jumpy.log i do see the following:

File "/Applications/PMSMediaServer/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/plugins/jumpy/xbmc.py", line 6, in <module>
import jumpy
File "/Applications/PMSMediaServer/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/plugins/jumpy/lib/jumpy.py", line 3, in <module>
from py4j.java_gateway import GatewayClient, JavaGateway
ImportError: No module named py4j.java_gateway

How can I be missing a module? By the way I'm using OS X 10.7.3

Regards!
MacBook Pro
2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7
4GB Ram
OSX 10.8.1
timeitniear

Postby infidel » Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 pm

timeitniear wrote:I have installed the piugin, Py4j, Python
from py4j.java_gateway import GatewayClient, JavaGateway
ImportError: No module named py4j.java_gateway

How did you install py4j?
infidel

Postby timeitniear » Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 pm

I used the easy install. Actually don't know what I did or didn't do, but things seem to work now. I was going to delete the post. Thanks for the quick reply!
MacBook Pro
2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7
4GB Ram
OSX 10.8.1
timeitniear

Postby glenrocks » Mon May 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Infidel- Hope you doing well.. I was thinking of asking you- Is there a way for item to inherit folder name as label? I could not find a way in the jumpy modules..maybe its compiled inside the plugin. It would be helpful especially when one adds the item to their renderer inbuilt favorites..as when I do, all shows "Item"... :| I still haven't tried your bookmark feature though.
glenrocks

PreviousNext

Return to Additions and Plugins