RSS Feed

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

RSS Feed

Postby beach_bum » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi there,

I am not a PMS developer, but I do have Java experience. I am trying to view the http://feeds.feedburner.com/ICanHasCheezburger feed and I noticed some pictures are shown or show the thumbnail expanded to full screen size, but almost all pictures are corrupted (not to mention videos, but I won't get into that). However, I see some of the default RSS feeds show pics just fine.

I assume that PMS is looking for a particular format of RSS text in case or photos, and the feed in question does not meet it.

I would like to either write a proxy to change the RSS feed or provided there is some documentation around that, write a plugin, to convert RSS feeds to the format PMS expects. My questions are:

1) Is my assumption correct?
2) What format does PMS expect of RSS feeds?
3) Is there a tutorial on how to write a plugin for PMS?

Regards,
Adi
beach_bum

Re: RSS Feed

Postby chocolateboy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:59 am

PMS expects Media RSS feeds. It doesn't handle that feed correctly because it (PMS) doesn't grok multiple content elements per group and discards all but the first. This is a bug in PMS.

One solution would be to patch PMS and ask for the patch to be included in the Community Beta. Or you could write a plugin that correctly handles feeds through a different file than WEB.conf e.g. RSS.conf. There's no tutorial on writing plugins, but information is scattered about this subforum, and pretty much all the plugins are open source.

A much easier solution would be to transform the RSS with e.g. Yahoo! Pipes. For instance, you could generate a feed that only includes the JPEG images, with one content element per group. Or write a web service to transform it à la feed-buster. Or script a cron job to transform the feed and publish a PMS-compatible version as I do with Apple Trailers.

beach_bum wrote:not to mention videos

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=80#p37084
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby beach_bum » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Thank you for the info, chocolateboy!

I'll try the yahoo pipes; it funny how similar to ETL tools it looks like.
beach_bum

Postby beach_bum » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:08 am

Yahoo pipes did it for the pictures (no gifs or videos - I am not sure what the format of the feed needs to be for videos, yet)

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_ ... render=rss
beach_bum

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Create a pipe that only includes the title and link for each item in this feed:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/cheezburger/videos/feed/

Then post the link and I'll test it.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to Developers