Moving away from Format.ps3compatible()

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Re: Moving away from Format.ps3compatible()

Postby leroy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:37 am

Very nice improvement StreamHD,

The new code (SubJunk Build 59/60) made it possible by using the "trancode folder",
to select [no encoding] if the video file match the "supported = " lines.

This way MKV files with embedded subtitles like UTF-8 (native supported with my blu-ray HTS player),
can be streamed (no transcode / encode) without using, "skip transcode for following extensions",
"definitely disable subs" or "StreamExtensions = ". Awesome :D

Strange that a MKV with the subtitle format ASS (native supported with my Philips HTS player),
doesn't need the transcode folder [no encoding], to play without transcoding.
So a renderer that support MKV and DTS but no embedded suptitles, with ASS now needed the transcode folder.

Still i hope the code can be changed to stream MKV files without the use of the "trancode folder",
for MKV files with UTF-8 embedded suptitles.
Than i don't need the transcode folder anymore for my blu-ray HTS player.

MediaInfo MKV with UTF-8 suptitles:
UTF-8.zip
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

MediaInfo MKV with ASS suptitles:
ASS.zip
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
leroy

Re: Moving away from Format.ps3compatible()

Postby StreamHD » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks leroy, it's great to know that people are benefitting from this work.

leroy wrote:So a renderer that support MKV and DTS but no embedded suptitles, with ASS now needed the transcode folder.

I need to take a closer look. I will setup a test scenario and let you know.

leroy wrote:Still i hope the code can be changed to stream MKV files without the use of the "trancode folder",
for MKV files with UTF-8 embedded suptitles.

See my streamablesubs branch. These patches aim to provide logic and configurability options for renderers with native subtitle support.

For embedded subtitles I think it is working 100% but it can use some testing. For external subtitles, I think the logic is improved but can still be perfected.

The patches affect some of the core subtitle logic so maybe it has already fixed the problem you are experiencing with ASS subtitles?

EDIT: I created a topic for the subtitle patches here
EDIT 2: I have created a pull request to fix the bug you discovered :)
It's actually an old bug, probably stemming back to PMS 1.21.1. In light of this new info, I will need to revise the "streamablesubs" patches. Thanks for the heads-up!

PS. If you try my patches, you can try setting both ASS and Embedded as supported subs. If you use many external ASS subs then just set Embedded as supported.
PMS 1.50.1-Snapshot (latest commit); 400MB buffer;
Samsung LCD D550 Series with custom conf; Sony PS3; Xbox 360;
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Previous

Return to Developers