Bug Fix: Stream/Transcode decision logic

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

Re: Bug Fix: Stream/Transcode decision logic

Postby ExSport » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:39 am

I need to check the code. Only what I wanted to say was that I never spoted this behavior that file is transcoded when embeded subs are present but subs are disabled so not burned to the picture.
Maybe I understood you wrong and you are talking about ability to stream emeded subs without transcoding on supported renderers like Samsung TV?
Hopefully I will understand all posted above by checking the code...from past I wasn't able to reproduce your problem.
Also no offence but I am not native english speaker so it is easy for me to mis-understood things, mayble like this one 8-)
ExSport

Postby StreamHD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 am

ExSport wrote:I need to check the code. Only what I wanted to say was that I never spoted this behavior that file is transcoded when embeded subs are present but subs are disabled so not burned to the picture.
Maybe I understood you wrong and you are talking about ability to stream emeded subs without transcoding on supported renderers like Samsung TV?
Hopefully I will understand all posted above by checking the code...from past I wasn't able to reproduce your problem.
Also no offence but I am not native english speaker so it is easy for me to mis-understood things, mayble like this one 8-)

No problem :) That is right, there is some advantages to stream instead of remux/transcode on Samsung and also Philips.

If you want to reproduce you need the following:
1) Use "video.mkv" with embedded subtitles
2) Define "MediaInfo=true" line
3) Define supported line for the mkv (and its audio ofcourse)
e.g. Supported = f:mkv v:divx|h264|mp4 a:mp3|ac3|lpcm|dts|aac m:video/x-mkv
4) Remove "StreamExtensions=mkv" line and Skip Transcode = mkv option if it exists.
5) Do not tick "definitely disable subs"
6) Audio/sub language priority = "*,off"

Now browse to "video.mkv" on the renderer. You will see "video.mkv [MEncoder]" or "video.mkv [TSMuxer]". On a PS3, you can go to the [No Transcode] option but it does not appear for the mkv.

Now tick "definitely disable subs" and browse back to the video. Because of the commit, it will now show "video.mkv*". This is the only way to get video.mkv to stream? I believe so, but hope you can prove me wrong :)
PMS 1.50.1-Snapshot (latest commit); 400MB buffer;
Samsung LCD D550 Series with custom conf; Sony PS3; Xbox 360;
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Postby ExSport » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:47 am

StreamHD wrote:If you want to reproduce you need the following:
1) Use "video.mkv" with embedded subtitles
2) Define "MediaInfo=true" line
3) Define supported line for the mkv (and its audio ofcourse)

I got it :mrgreen:
All my renderers doesn't support mkv so PMS remuxes them but not transcodes(with MEncoder)-this was the culprit of misunderstanding
You was talking about pure streaming and me about remuxing, but both is not transcoding 8-)
Now I understand, thx
4) Remove "StreamExtensions=mkv" line and Skip Transcode = mkv option if it exists.
Not needed. It is ignored if MediaInfo=true
Now browse to "video.mkv" on the renderer. You will see "video.mkv [MEncoder]" or "video.mkv [TSMuxer]".
If supported=mkv line is defined, I suppose [tsMuxeR] engine should not be listed at all? Why to remux file which is already streamable? But OK, good to have it if MKV is badly muxed, remuxing it to .TS file may help.
On a PS3, you can go to the [No Transcode] option but it does not appear for the mkv.
Now tick "definitely disable subs" and browse back to the video. Because of the commit, it will now show "video.mkv*"
It means that also with this commit, when "definitely disable subs" is disabled, you can't see option for purely streamed file in TRANSCODE folder?
Anyway I got the point, thanks for explanation. :idea:
ExSport

Postby StreamHD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:40 pm

ExSport wrote:You was talking about pure streaming and me about remuxing, but both is not transcoding 8-)

True! Remux and transcode are similar because they both use the Player.java class. It looks like PMS assigns a null-player for streaming.

ExSport wrote:I suppose [tsMuxeR] engine should not be listed at all? Why to remux file which is already streamable? But OK, good to have it if MKV is badly muxed, remuxing it to .TS file may help.

It seems difficult to stop [tsMuxeR] and [MEncoder] engines based on aud/sub preferences. I might be mistaken, but I don't think Player.setAudioAndSubs() has been executed before DLNAResource.addChild() makes the decision of which player to assign?

ExSport wrote:It means that also with this commit, when "definitely disable subs" is disabled, you can't see option for purely streamed file in TRANSCODE folder?

The [No Transcode] folder is a different problem. Currently it never shows for MKV. The problem is caused by hard-coded PS3 logic.
PMS 1.50.1-Snapshot (latest commit); 400MB buffer;
Samsung LCD D550 Series with custom conf; Sony PS3; Xbox 360;
Win7 x64; JDK-7u2-x64; Intel i7 930 + X58 chipset; 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz; Gigabit backbone;
StreamHD

Previous

Return to Developers