OSX: libdvdread/libdvdcss: why not use what comes w/mplayer?

Discuss issues related to PS3 Media Server development (only for programmers)

OSX: libdvdread/libdvdcss: why not use what comes w/mplayer?

Postby jjmojojjmojo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:46 am

I was having a problem with garbled video when playing a DVD ISO on OSX. After digging around, the issue came down to libdvdread not using/being compiled with libdvdcss. I used build-pms-osx.sh.

I tried everything I could think of, short of hacking the source code or trying to compile it without make (I'm not above doing this, it's just not my area of expertise), but I could not get libdvdread to use libdvdcss. It seems the configure script (I guess generated by autogen.sh) didn't do anything with the --with-libdvdcss parameter I found mentioned here and there. It also didn't return any of the typical help that configure scripts will have. I think it may not be the 'driod you were looking for ;)

Anyway, I noticed mplayer bundles a copy of libdvdread and libdvdcss. I took out the --disable-dvdread-internal parameter in build-pms-osx.sh (line 1112), and after rebuilding the .dmg package, my ISO video problems are gone.

I want to contribute back to the project (streaming ISOs from my mac is a killer feature for me), but before I dig any deeper, I'd like to know if this was just a mistake on the part of the author of build-pms-osx.sh, or if there's some greater reason why things are set up this way (essentially, should I fix build-pms-osx.sh, or libdvdread, or is there something that needs to be fixed in all builds?).

Thanks,
JJ

My problem manifested in PMS versions:
1.20.409-BETA
1.30.1 (svn trunk rev 753)

My setup:
Mac OS-X 10.6.8 (newish iMac bought in Dec of 2010, 2.39 Ghz Intel Core i7, 12MB RAM)
XCode 3.2.2
iMac is connected to PS3 via Wi-Fi

ISOs I Tried:
Community Season 1, disc 1, 2, 4 (used dd and Disk Utility with same results)

Other tools I used that *would* play the ISOs:
VLC 1.1.10.1
MplayerX 1.0.7 (had to mount it first)

Other tools that would *not* play the ISOs:
Mac OS DVD Player (complaied about copy protection)
Mplayer OSX Extended (rev 14 test 4 1404)

Renderers:
PS3 (new model, recently updated)
XBMC (running on the iMac to theoretically sidestep any bandwidth problems)
jjmojojjmojo

Re: OSX: libdvdread/libdvdcss: why not use what comes w/mpla

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 am

jjmojojjmojo wrote:Anyway, I noticed mplayer bundles a copy of libdvdread and libdvdcss. I took out the --disable-dvdread-internal parameter in build-pms-osx.sh (line 1112), and after rebuilding the .dmg package, my ISO video problems are gone.

I want to contribute back to the project (streaming ISOs from my mac is a killer feature for me), but before I dig any deeper, I'd like to know if this was just a mistake on the part of the author of build-pms-osx.sh, or if there's some greater reason why things are set up this way (essentially, should I fix build-pms-osx.sh, or libdvdread, or is there something that needs to be fixed in all builds?).

Thanks,
JJ

When I wrote the script, I just googled the build parameters from other successfully reported builds. I personally have no opinion on whether or not "--disable-dvdread-internal" would be necessary. In fact, if it causes playback problems, I would rather see it gone! :-D

Thank you for your feedback!
I will commit some fixes for the next version of PMS (edit: fixed in r755).
Raptor399
Project Member

Return to Developers